Monday, August 4, 2014

Looking Forward to August

So last month I did not quite stay within my budget goal of $400.  I went over by $22.46, which is not too bad but it still is not within the budget.  Looking back over the last four or five months, I typically go over by at least $10 and no more than $50. 

I did some shopping this weekend and have already spent $125.  My husband is gearing up for a big hiking trip this weekend, so it has added to our normal purchases.  We have also decided to try to build up a better stockpile of foods in case of an emergency, so I bought a few extra canned beans and fruit while I was at Aldi the other day.

I am finding it hard to think about buying canned foods to stockpile when I have been trying decrease our use of canned foods over the last few years.  I know that there is still a shelf-life on those canned goods, so at some point in time, we will need to eat them.

This weekend's grocery shopping included Target, Dillon's, and Aldi.

Here is what I bought:

Target:
  • Market Pantry Bagels and Welch's Fruit Snacks - $5.46

Dillon's:
  • Bananas - $1.75 (I know that they are cheaper at Aldi, but I don't have good luck with the bags)
  • Coffee - $4.99
  • 16 oz cheddar cheese - $3.50 (definitely cheaper than Aldi cheese)
  • Ragu spaghetti sauce x 2 - $1.29 each
  • Cheerios (big box) -$2.49
  • KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce - $1.49 (my son is allergic to an ingredient in many sauces, so we have to stick with this brand)
  • Smucker's cherry preserves - $.49 (I had an great $1 off coupon that I could use with their mega sale savings!)
  • Cheez-Its - $1.99 
  • Bacon - $3.99 
  • Eggs x 2 - $.99 each  (they had marked their eggs down to 99 cents - hurray!)
  • Capri Sun - $1.49

Aldi:
  • Sweet corn x 2 - $1.89 each
  • Romaine hearts - $1.99
  • Crescent rolls - $1.49 each
  • Flour - $1.38
  • Frozen chicken breasts - $5.99
  • Crunchy peanut butter - $2.99
  • Deli rolls - $1.49
  • Baby spinach - $2.49
  • Sugar - $1.39
  • Deli sliced cheddar cheese - $2.19
  • Deli turkey meat - $2.29
  • 8 oz mozzarella - $1.99
  • Brown sugar - $1.19
  • Tomato sauce x 8 - $.25 each
  • Refried beans x 2 -  $.79 each
  • Pork & beans x 4 - $.49 each
  • Granola cereal - $1.99
  • Mandarin oranges - $.89 each
  • Fresh peaches x 4 - $.29 each
  • Coffee creamer - $2.19
  • Unsalted peanuts - 2.39
  • Spaghetti sauce - $1.19
  • Baby carrots - $.69
  • BBQ potato chips - $1.49
  • Red grapes - $1.58
  • Unsalted butter - $2.49
  • Steamable corn x 2 - $.95 each
  • Frozen peas - $.95
  • Fresh blueberries - $.99
  • Quart bags - $1.99
 My husband also did some shopping for his trip at Wal Mart this weekend.  He spent $25 on food he can easily take and use at the camp site.

No comments:

Post a Comment