Now, my husband is not a fan of refried beans, so when I first made the recipe, I reduced the amount of beans that I used; today, I use the full amount. Since I like to make a big batch of taco meat so I can freeze some for later use, I have changed the recipe slightly.
- 3 lbs ground beef (I actually only use 39 oz of meat. I often use 13oz of meat when a recipe calls for a pound in order to help make the meat last longer)
- 1 can refried beans
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 8 oz water
- 1/2 cup taco seasoning (or two packets)
- Brown the ground beef and drain
- Add refried beans, tomato sauce, water, and taco seasoning
- Mix together
- Bring to a simmer and let it cook over low heat for at least 30 minutes
I often use one third of the recipe for our evening meal and then freeze the other two. This recipe is great because you can adjust the recipe to suit your tastes.